Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Itunes

The various podcasts all covered different material but each was rather interesting. I mentioned in my ACCESS post that I really wanted to use the smartboard that was in the lab. The smartboard podcast gave me more information on how the boards are used and different things that can be done with them. I really like how you can go from one site to another. The boards are so interactive and they are great tools for students to learn how to use. The smartboard podcast made the board less intimidating to. I know I probably won't get a chance to use one before I graduate. This way if I end up in a school with them I won't feel so lost on how they operate. This Week in Photography was focused on cameras and different tools for photographers. While it didn't have anything to do with education it shows how podcasts can be focused to one group and filled with information for them. It made me think of a radio show when I heard it. As an English teacher I could make a podcast on Shakespeare for my students to listen to. Mac Break Weekly was focused on the Apple computers and tools and how they are better than PC and Windows. They focused on virus protection. Like the Photography podcast it was focused on a specific form of technology. Also like the photography podcast it shows how focused a podcast can be. KidCast and Edtech Talk were much more useful to me. KidCast focused on podcasts and their use in the classroom. Podcasts by students are becoming more popular but they still aren't being used to their full potential. Instead of having students just make a podcast to make a podcast they should have a greater purpose. They should be done with some message or goal in mind. Teachers are using them more to make their lessons available twenty-four seven for their students. More and more they are becoming necessary. EdTech Talk focused on teaching with the involvement of parents using technology. They suggested a class blog where students and parents could interact with the teacher. I really like that idea because I believe parents make all the difference in the classroom. I want to use podcasts because I see how useful they are to keeping discussions going and gathering information and ideas for the classroom. I want my students and myself to be able to learn as much as possible each semester even though I will also have to teach things for the standardized tests as well. I like podcasts because they are free sources of information too. Free is always nice!

No comments: