Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Technology Talk Podcasts

I felt our podcasts came out a lot better than we all thought they would especially since most of us had never done one! The first podcast I listened to was Watchers and Listeners how do we Respond? It was done by the T4 class and I really liked how they showed just how much technology has changed. At one point ten mega bites was considered all the memory your computer would ever need. Cd's are now almost obsolete! The podcasters mentioned that people are reading books less and watching movies and listening to information on podcasts more. That is true but I have to disagree that people will stop reading completely. I know I will always love books and I prefer to read than listen. I found this podcast very informative though maybe it could have had a bit more opinion.
My group did Burp Back Education. After I got over my embarrassment at hearing my own mouse like voice I was really proud of how well we did. Granted I know there is a lot we could have done to make it better though. We have all had experiences with Burp Back Education and none of us enjoyed it. Patricia mentioned the math project her son had to do when he was in 6th grade. He had to plan out a thanksgiving dinner and do all the math for it. I would hug the teacher that came up with a math exercise like that. It was so realistic and useful and so far from the book and memorization techniques I was taught by. I think our podcast could have gone a bit longer and I think we repeated each other a bit to much. Still for a first try it wasn't bad and we really believed in what we were talking about. Down with Burp Back Education!
I also listened to Hannah, Catherine and Carrie and their podcast on how technology is used at South. I like their description of foliotek. They managed to describe its faults without completely condemning it like I would. It was a little repetitive but we have to admit that South doesn't have a whole lot of technology used in the classroom. Foliotek received a lot of attention but I was surprised to learn about the ebooks that are used in some of the education classes. I have never had to use one before so I'm curious about what that would be like. I'm used to paper! The last podcast I listened to was Reflection on Randy Paush's Last Lecture with Brett, Taylor, Jenny and Brie. The podcast was less of a conversation and more of a summary at points but it still touched on some interesting points he made. Taylor mentioned that the book was a good source of information and that actually made me go out and buy it. I really enjoyed it. You should teach the way you live your life. Hopefully that is with joy. I know I took a lot away from the Last Lecture and it is clear that they did also. I like how they mentioned that you should live every day as if it were your last. As scary as it was I'm glad we did these podcasts. I think they all came out very well and I hope people learned something from them.

No comments: